Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dearest

Dearest,
My apologies.

It was no accident you chose me,
We were the same, raging
in a world that blinked
indifference.

A fresh soul delivered from your
warm immersion into
sensory terror.
Your brain already fighting its mismatched puzzle.
Neurons bouncing like beads clicking against the floor.

Images of warm deep embraces-edged 
into the distance.
Childhood pleasures morphed into sensory diets,
play therapies,
mood stabilizers.

No Parenting magazine knew you.

Five years besieged 
by a mind brimming
confusion. 
Wide black eyes glazed, 
never willing to meet my gaze.

No immediacy of love,
It stood in the middle distance
trepidatious, edging silently forward,
a little,
at a time.

Until the day we heard that gentle porcelain doctor say
“autism spectrum.” 

There you stood, and I saw you
for the first time
looking right at me.

8 comments:

  1. keep drugging your kids. stupid cunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so brave, hiding behind anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous probably forgot how to spell his or her name. Or was never smart enough to learn it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud to be a cunt here as well, as I too medicate my beautiful boy with autism,ADHD,social anxiety and OCD. I'm proud to count myself as one of the Moms who trudge to the pharmacy for medication so my boy can function in society. In fact I may just go out and get a t-shirt that says Autism Mom (Cunt) & Proud of It on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I vote we all get that t-shirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece of work, Dee, as always. Shame about the hater, but console yourself with this thought": mediocrity is never hated.

    And haters -the cowardly ones at least- are always mediocre.

    ReplyDelete