Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Universal Change

I spent a good part of today on the phone or meeting in person with facilitators and spec ed teachers.  Thank ye Gawds for brilliant professionals who not only are good at their jobs but have a vocation to work with children.   The administrative aspect of school transfers is all but complete and all three wains know at least cognitively we will be moving in a few weeks.  What has taken me aback has been how I was anticipating this volcanic reaction from them and apart from a quick lava spike, they are suddenly full in....to the point I have to stop John and Hannah from trying to pack up their wee worlds before the weekend.

I am in constant awe of my children and their ability to morph and grow, but even more so after these last few days.  Of course there is so much more to come, the actual move, first days of a new school, first day on a new bus, first day in a new lunch room.  It makes me consider though how many firsts we all encounter, sometimes on a daily basis.  Firsts are scary of course; it's a sojourn off the precipice, a footprint into the unknown.  I will freely admit, I have moments of abject terror at the thought of this move, from suburban comfort of ownership into more condensed renterville.   Then I watch the innocence of my 8 year old dash about his room piling stuffed animals into an old cardboard box, giddy with the anticipation; I catch myself, slump to my knees beside him and giggle as we both squish in yet another  Build a Bear Puppy.

Changes are scary for sure, but they are also just that, change! I know for me this is the first step of many changes, some bigger than others, but all ok with the universe.  Afterall, the Universe has never let me down before, time to take that deep breath and let it do it's thing again.




1 comment: