Friday, May 18, 2012

For Karen and our strong wee boar

I found myself making a silly joke on a social network tonight that I have no mates.  Of course all my real mates came running and pointed out how wrong I was, and indeed I was.  However, said friends are also between 600 and 3000 miles away.  I have been in Suburban Atlanta for just about six years now and this is how I know I have no close friends.  When schools and camps ask for an emergency contact I am stumped.  I learned fairly recently, I don't do peripheral, polite shoulder rubs.  I really have tried, but it is so against my nature it physically hurts.  Either you have my back and I have yours or else piss off.  I suspect this is a combination of being an only child, coming from a "broken" home and being an immigrant.  Special needs kids is icing.

My best friend, who is 600 miles off, and I should never have left understands.  She posted a half joke tonight about running from play dates now she knows best.  I completely understand that, on two levels; it's less about the children and so much more about those perfect Mommy's validating their perfect vocation.  Also, for my friend and I, our special needs children have placed us on a different plain, perhaps a different dimension.  I remember the day she threw her gorgeous baby boy into my arms and demanded I feel his soft spot and I agreed, he was too old to have a soft spot.  At that moment she was well within her rights to slap me upside the head, instead, I was allowed hold her baby.  Now, that's a true friend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment