Wednesday, May 9, 2012

When typical gets a techie push

Jacob (12) begged for a phone the last few months.  I held off for all the normal parental worries, he's more vulnerable, what's the point, he has no real friends, he's not tech savvy enough.  I was right about not having immediate peers (for now) to text, but it hasn't stopped him communicating with me via text the last three days.

In fact, I am amazed at his ability to check spelling, grammar, punctuation and the fact his text's are a right gas (Irish for a giggle).  He is my highly verbal Autie that struggles so hard at getting his thoughts from his brain to his oral features. His frustration so evident when his message is misinterpreted or brushed off.  I could easily say I have communicated more with my 12 year old via text than verbally the last 3 days than ever.  As such I have upped his texts to 500 for $5.00.  I am thoroughly enjoying this new side of Jacob, and love him asking me something as simple as he is on the bus home, he loves me but I shouldn't sat say I do in front of his friends. His Last text , "On bus home...oh and please don't call me love."  Of course I replied "Ok hunny, bunny boo."  His response "Ok, you can call me love."  Now, how typical 12 year old boy is that???

Today was a GREAT DAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Now, that is exciting to read. Sometimes we find "keys" to our kids when we least expect them. Congratulations on the adventure this texting is sure to bring you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, it's been a fun week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of lovely giggles on the way my third attempt to send whew!

      Delete